We are a non-government organization based in Labuan Sub-District, District of Pandeglang, Banten Province - Indonesia. Alabama was founded by a group of local community whom concerned on nature conservation, education and community empowerment issues in Ujung Kulon National Park and its surrounding areas in 2006.
Our initial activities were, among others:
- Mangrove ecosystem restoration in the coastal areas of Pandeglang District as a way to maintain source of life of local community living in Ujung Kulon National Park buffer-zone.
- Raising local community awareness on Javan Rhinoceros conservation and the function of mangrove ecosystem to support community’s livelihood as well as increased human and wildlife resilience to climate change and natural disaster such as tsunami and abrasion
Currently, through collaboration with District Government of Pandeglang and Ujung Kulon National Park Management, ALABAMA focuses on several issues:
- Post-tsunami 2018 ecosystem restoration on the coast of Pandeglang including Javan rhino habitat in Ujung Kulon National Park.
- Raising community awareness on the function of mangrove ecosystem and the urgency of Javan Rhinoceros conservation
- Local community facilitation on alternative sustainable livelihood outside Ujung Kulon National Park as a way to reduce human pressure to Javan Rhino habitat.
ASAP Species That We Work On
What We Do
To help the Javan rhino conservation in Ujung Kulon National Park, the Alabama Indonesia Foundation will carry out various efforts, which are divided into several segments:
Segment 1, reducing human presence in the TNUK area, In this segment, the Alabama Indonesia Foundation divides into several programs, including economic empowerment of communities around TNUK, environmental education and awareness activities, improvement of mangrove ecosystems outside the TNUK area.
Segment 2, Ecosystem restoration, for the ecosystem restoration segment, we will carry out post-tsunami reforestation in the TNUK peninsula area, enrichment of rhino food.
Segment 3, Reducing competition between Javan rhinos and other animals
Where We Work
Ujung Kulon National Park
Web & Social Media
Yayasan Alabama Indonesia Lestari