The North of England Zoological Society (NEZS) was established in 1934 and is the registered charity that runs Chester Zoo (UK charity no. 306077).
The mission of Chester Zoo is “Preventing extinction”, with the clarifying statement “As more species decline towards extinction due to human activities, we are tackling the threats head on."
We are leading best practice in science, education and husbandry to create a sustainable future for wildlife. We do this by managing animal and plant populations, safeguarding habitats and empowering people to value nature and build conservation into their daily lives.
ASAP Species That We Work On
- Painted Terrapin Batagur borneoensis - (Ex situ and in situ)
- Roti-Island Snake-necked Turtle Chelodina mccordi - Ex situ
- Indochinese Box Turtle Cuora galbinifrons - Ex situ
- Chinese Three-striped Box Turtle Cuora trifasciata - Ex situ
- Vietnamese Pond Turtle Mauremys annamensis - Ex situ
- Palawan Forest Turtle Siebenrockiella leytensis - In situ support
- Philippine Cockatoo Cacatua haematuropygia - Ex situ and in situ
- Javan Green Magpie Cissa thalassina - Ex situ and in situ
- Bali Starling Myna Leucopsar rothschildi - Ex situ and in situ
- Baer's Pochard Aythya baeri - Ex situ
- Yellow-crested Cockatoo Cacatua sulphurea - Ex situ
- Edward's Pheasant Lophura edwardsi - Ex situ
- Black-winged Myna Acridotheres melanopterus - In situ
- Grey-rumped Myna Acridotheres tertius - In situ
- Grey-backed Myna Acridotheres tricolor - In situ
- Negros Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba keayi - In situ
- Rufous-fronted laughingthrush Garrulax rufifrons - In situ
- Rufous-headed Hornbill Rhabdotorrhinus waldeni - In situ
- Helmeted Hornbill Rhinoplax vigil - In situ
- Black Crested Macaque Macaca nigra - Ex situ and in situ
- Sumatran Orangutan Pongo abelii - Ex situ and in situ
- Bornean Orangutan Pongo pygmaeus - Ex situ and in situ
- Visayan Warty Pig Sus cebifrons - Ex situ and in situ
- Sunda Pangolin - In situ
- Bawean Deer Axis kuhlii - In situ (planned)
- Tamaraw Bubalus mindorensis - In situ (planned)
What We Do
For ex situ species, we breed them as part of the regional European ex situ Programme (EEP). For the other species we have projects with country partners, either co-leading projects, supporting projects in some aspects (e.g. capacity building) or only provide funding.
For details on each species / project, please contact us.
Where We Work
We focus on Indonesia and Philippines, as well as Malaysian Borneo. We may have some smaller projects on SE Asia mainland, such as Malaysia or Vietnam, but these must have a good justification to be included.