Rainforest Trust works with local conservation organizations across the tropics to create new protected
As a member of the KBA Partnership, Rainforest Trust has committed to identifying, mapping, monitoring
and protecting the most important places for life on Earth. As an organization, we are especially focused on
projects in KBAs with globally significant populations of Critically Endangered (CR) and Endangered (EN)
To this end, Rainforest Trust wishes to explore partnerships with local conservation organizations
interested in establishing new protected areas in places that have either been formally recognized as KBAs
or would trigger a new KBA on further evaluation. For more information on KBAs, visit
● The project must be based within the tropics or subtropics.
● The site must qualify as a KBA under criterion A1(a) (site regularly holds a globally significant
proportion of the population of a Critically Endangered or Endangered species). – Click here for more info
● The site must currently be unprotected and not designated as a protected area.
● The project must be implemented by an organization nationally registered and legally authorized to
work in the project country.
In addition, Rainforest Trust supports feasibility studies to assess the potential to create protected areas.
Rapid Feasibility Awards:
● Assess whether a site qualifies as an A1(a) KBA
● Evaluate land tenure of unprotected A1(a) KBAs
● Evaluate the presence and abundance of CR and EN species within unprotected A1(a) KBAs
● Gauge opportunities to designate governmental protected areas or to purchase privately-owned land
● Assess community and government interest in protected area creation
● Identify next steps in proceeding with protected area creation
Additional information regarding the SAVES Challenge, project requirements and an eligibility
questionnaire can be found here.
Rainforest Trust’s final deadline is on 1 November 2019 – but note that draft applications should be submitted on or before 1 October 2019. Hence, we encourage you to begin the online process as soon as possible.
Those interested in exploring opportunities to leverage this support should contact SAVES@RainforestTrust.org.
Click here for more detailed information.